visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Lemon Lavender Whole Wheat Muffin Recipe | #Channyskitchen



Lemon Lavender Whole Wheat Muffins

This week, I had some unexpected “at home” time when my little one got sick (boo!). In Michigan, we are experiencing some very cool, fall-like weather (much to the chagrin of summer worshippers like me who aren’t QUITE ready for that). Still, it put me in a major cooking and baking mood, and I thought I would create a new muffin recipe that was hearty, low in fat and low in sugar as well.

Hope you enjoy!

Recipe yields 12 muffins. Nutritional information below.



INGREDIENTS

¾ tsp liquid stevia (or you could use ½ cup granulated sugar or sweetener of your choice, but remember, the calorie/macros in this recipe are adjusted for stevia. I use the handy conversion chart here.)

¾ cup nonfat Greek yogurt

1/3 cup plain applesauce (this is the same as one of the small, single servings which is what I always use. You’ll have about a spoonful left over. It can go directly in your mouth. J)

1 large egg (Vegan friends, check out this great article for replacement choices).

3 tsp. fresh grated lemon zest

2 tbsp. lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla extract

¼ tsp lemon oil or lemon extract

2/3 cup water

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour

¼ cup unbleached self-rising flour

¼ cup cornmeal (I used white)

3 tbsp. dried culinary lavender

2 tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. salt

OPTIONAL:


Purple Granulated Sugar Topping

(Yeah, I couldn’t resist a little drop of artificial color for this because it looks pretty! But skip that if it makes you uncomfortable.)

1/8 cup granulated or coarse sugar (I used granulated because I never have coarse on hand. Oh well.)

3 drops red, 1 drop blue food coloring

2 drops lemon oil or extract

Mix food coloring on spoon before adding to sugar. After you've added the food coloring, smash the sugar around until the color is incorporated. Then add the lemon oil or extract and do the same.


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400º. Grease 12 count muffin tin.

Mix wet ingredients (stevia, yogurt, applesauce, egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon oil or extract and water) together well and set aside.

Mix dry ingredients (flours, cornmeal, dried lavender, balking powder, baking soda and salt) together.

Carefully stir or fold in wet mixture to dry mixture. Batter should be fairly thick—spoonable. Fill each hole in muffin tin to almost full.




Bake around 15-20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes clean, or your spider senses tell you the muffins are perfect. =)

When my muffins came out of the oven, I sprayed them lightly with butter flavored cooking spray, and sprinkled the sugar topping on them.

Then I ate one—while it was still steaming—with a big pat of butter. YUM!

CALORIE AND MACRO INFORMATION

Per serving size (1 muffin):

Calories:   103 calories
Fat:    .8g
Carbs:    19.8 g

Protein:    4.5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts