visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Monday, October 13, 2014

Just in Time for Halloween: DIY Flapper Headband

IMG_0041

Just in Time for Halloween: 
DIY Flapper Headband

Looking for a pretty and inexpensive Halloween costume? Dressing for the Lumber Baron's Ball this last Saturday (1920's themed) taught me that putting together a decade appropriate outfit can be a totally frugal affair! I'll have a re-cap of my outfit (which was totally based out of my closet and thrifted, of course) later, but I wanted to share the simple and 100% secondhand "flapper-style" headband I created using only items I had laying around the house, and my sewing machine.

NOTHING NEW WAS PURCHASED TO MAKE THIS PRETTY HEAD DRESS!


In fact, that's why I'm sharing! Let's face it, you could easily go out and buy some sequined elastic and a feather, bust out your hot glue gun, and make a head dress in minutes. But why buy something new and waste resources when you have all the scraps and bits at home to put together this romantic gem?


IMG_0019



GETTING STARTED:

I gathered my materials; a fabric flower I had laying around, reclaimed cotton lace, a vintage brooch, some odds and ends pearls...a few random earrings...you get the picture!

Also:  thin waistband elastic, scissors, a spool of thread, and a needle.

I had the elastic laying around in my sewing drawer. I measured a piece at a comfortable width for the circumference of my head, and then I sewed the ends together. 

IMG_0032


Then, I stretched the elastic while stitching some salvaged cotton lace over it, to "pretty up" the elastic. I wanted a softer, antique look with the white--rather than bright, flashy sequins.


IMG_0038

I arranged the flower and brooch the way I liked it (positioned off to the side and together, as the focal piece) and then sewed them on to the elastic, trying the headband on every now and again to test the fit/mockup.

IMG_0043
 

From that point, I sewed all of the jewelry bits around the flower and brooch (underneath, and around to create a "crowned" effect) and...voila!


IMG_8297b



Clearly, it's not rocket science--I mean, I sewed some stuff on to an elastic headband! 


But the idea here is:


What can you use for your Halloween costume this year that you already have laying around? How can you reduce your consumption of goods, and what might you be able to salvage or use secondhand?


Share your creative ideas on my Thrift Trick Facebook page!



1 comment:

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts