visit counter for blogspot

Im getting married--follow along with me! | Be a fan on Facebook! | Follow ThriftTrick on Instagram! | Follow ThriftTrick on Twitter! | Follow ThriftTrick on Pinterest! | Follow ThriftTrick by email! | Take Me Home! | About your gal! | Follow ThriftTrick through email! | Fashion | Thrift
Positive Body Image | On the menu... | On the turntable... | Thrift Store Reviews... | DIYs and Tips



Monday, June 18, 2012

16 ways...Scarf Tutorial #8..."No Muss"


I LOVE IT! Vintage utilitarian fashion.

Don’t want to "muss" your hair? That's the awesome, chic, practical power of the vintage scarf over the 'do (we're halfway through the "16 Ways To Style A Vintage Scarf Series! Don't forget that I'm collecting them for your reference onthis Pinterest Board!). Combine with glasses and it's a recipe for instant classy bombshell. I feel like it commands respect and it also says, "My hair is worth not spoiling". HAHA! The best (and most ironic) part about this style is that it can double as a veil for the not-so-hot hair day, and I'm vowing to don this style more this year, as it feels so amazingly glam and fabulous to me. I don't really think I need to mention the ease of styling a vintage scarf this way--you just find yourself a medium or large scarf, fold it into a triangle, cover your head and tie underneath your chin. But do check out the montage of vintage stylings I pasted together for your reference below...there are a few ways to do the fantastic scarf head wrap. It was Grace Kelly's signature look, and as you can see, the style was no stranger to starlets like Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, and even Jackie O.


I can’t help but mention (and it isn't meant to offend or slam anyone reading, so I hope that won't be the case) that I couldn't dislike the reversed version of the scarf head wrap more, bastardized, I feel, by nuevo-rockabilly fashion which seems to cling on to the most tawdry of vintage stylings

(here come the hot pants, cleavage shirts, platforms and blunt cut bangs!). I'm talking about this look.. In all fairness, it's how you wear it though, because I actually love a similiar look on Rihanna--she did it right, in my humble opinion. As you can probably tell, there is a difference--it is worn as more of a bow; a thinner headband vibe, and the rest of the hair and its height completely balances the look. Am I sounding like a picky freak yet? Oh goody!


Maybe it comes from hours of shaking my head at the nasty, overplucked and overexposed pinups in the hubby's hot rod mags, but I just can't get into the aforementioned look. Call me a prude, but the "Nuskool" spin on vintage style sort of degrades everything I love about true vintage: the demure, classy, and glamorous (which was the difference, I believe, in how Rihanna wore the look, versus other girls who seem to just be aiming for this.). It's really not a question of feminist power either for me, and I've went off on that diatribe before. What can I say? I'm just a vintage style purist, I guess. My after-the-fact disclaimer is that everyone has their own taste, and I certainly don't mean to scrutinize anyone. I'm sure that, in my lifetime, my own style has been the butt of several criticisms, jokes, and perhaps even gape jawed stares. So I'll put that in my own pipe and smoke it.

And now that I've climbed off my soap box, and watched it practically blow away on what has been a SERIOUSLY blustery day here in summery Michigan (perfect for the style-saving scarf!), don't be afraid to speak up below and tell me exactly why you disagree with me--or why we are psychically connected. Thanks for reading today, and hope to see you back soon!



Do I need to mention the scarf was marked .49 cents at Hope's Outlet, and that the glasses were a 99 cent find from Salvation Army on Plainfield in Grand Rapids, MI today?



_______________________________________________________

As usual, you can stop by any three Hope's Outlet thrift stores in Muskegon or Grand Haven to pick up a few FREE scarf prizes! Just mention the blog and choose from the stash!

Hope's Outlet Thrift Stores are located at:

2424 Glade St., Muskegon, MI 49444

1974 E Sherman Blvd, Muskegon, MI 49444

1100 Washington Ave, Grand Haven, MI 49417

Find Hope's Outlet on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question--I'd love to hear from you!

Popular Posts